One-Day Volunteer Opportunities
Have a few hours to spare? We need help with the following one-day volunteer opportunities:
Week-long volunteer opportunities
We’re looking for energetic, outgoing people to be camp counselors at Camp HOPE Wisconsin this summer.
- Help campers get loose and have adventures through camp activities (i.e., games, songs, rock climbing, kayaking, hiking, etc.)
- Help kids find hope through encouragement, mentoring and the Camp HOPE curriculum.
- Create an environment of patience, empathy and compassion.
- Must be ages 18-24 years old.
- Attend training at Sojourner (June 8 or 9, times TBA) and overnight, on-site training at camp in Campbellsport, WI (June 10-12, times TBA). Meals and accommodations provided.
- Be available to attend one or both full weeks of camp.
- Attend Camp HOPE reunion on Aug. 29, 2020.
- Prior experience with childcare preferred, but not required.
Counselors will receive a stipend after completion of assigned Camp HOPE week(s). Qualified applicants will be invited for an interview. Camp HOPE is open to everyone — volunteers of all races, ethnicities and genders are encouraged to apply.
We will begin accepting applications soon. Contact us if you’d like to be contacted about the summer 2020 session.
Ongoing volunteer opportunities
Interested in helping on an ongoing basis? We need dependable people who are willing to help in longer-term roles. We’re asking a 6-month commitment for positions listed below. Shift times vary. Must be 18 years of age. Please only apply for open positions.
- Restraining Order Clinic Volunteer
- Shelter Resident Activities Volunteer
- Childrens Program Support Group Volunteer
- In-Kind Donation Volunteer
- Childrens Program Drop-in Services Volunteer
We are not accepting applications at this time.
Group Volunteer Opportunities
We welcome corporate, faith-based and community groups to volunteer at Sojourner. Here’s how your group can get involved:
Peace Dinners offer comfort, company and healthy meals to residents staying in our emergency shelter. Prepare and serve dinner for 50-60 shelter guests*. Prepare dinner offsite and bring to Sojourner ready to serve. You can use our stove to warm meals, if needed. (Maximum of 6 volunteers serving dinner.)
* The number of shelter guests at dinner can vary, depending on occupancy rates in our shelter. We will provide an estimated headcount prior to the Peace Dinner, but appreciate your flexibility as we often receive residents with very short notice.
Meals for Hope
These meals are provided for Sojourner clients to offer comfort and healthy meals during our weekly support groups. Meals will be served to support groups the last full week of every month. (Maximum of 6 volunteers serving dinner.)
Option #1: Monday Dinner – Drop-Off Only
Prepare enough food for 20 people.
Drop off food by 4pm.
Option #2: Wednesday Dinner – Serving Option or Drop Off
Prepare enough food for 65 people.
If you are doing drop-off only, drop off food by 4:45pm
If you are serving food, see approximate schedule below:
4:30-5pm: Set Up
5-6pm: Serve Food
6-6:30pm: Clean Up
Option #3: Friday Breakfast Bar – Drop-Off Only
Prepare enough food for 45 people
Drop off food by 9:30am
Monthly in-kind donation sorting
Does your group love to organize? We need groups of volunteers to assist us with organizing the wonderful donations we receive on a daily basis. Your group will work together to organize and stock donations in a variety of storage rooms.
NOTE: This position involves lifting up to 50 lbs. and standing for long periods of time. (Maximum of 6 volunteers)
Other options for Groups
If your group is interested in a volunteer opportunity that’s not listed above (e.g., host an event, garden/landscaping help, etc.) let us know. Fill out a Group Volunteer Application and indicate how you’d like to help.
All internship opportunities are filled at this time. Please check back in the New Year.
Make a difference by using your time and talent at Sojourner Family Peace Center, contributing to our mission to transform lives impacted by family violence. We believe volunteers strengthen our agency as a whole and significantly expand our reach to the clients we serve.
We offer many volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups with varying time commitments. Whether you have a few hours to spare or would like to help on an ongoing basis, we will match your interest and availability to meet our needs.
All volunteers must submit a completed application. Background checks are required for certain positions. We often receive several applicants for a single position, so a completed application does not guarantee a spot.
1) Complete the appropriate application (see options below).
2) Email completed application to our Volunteer Coordinator for review.
3) Hold tight while we review and match you to open positions.
Once your application is received, our Volunteer Coordinator will review and contact you to set up a phone interview. Volunteers who are assigned longer-term (ongoing) positions must complete a 3-hour orientation prior to your first shift. Please allow 1-3 weeks for application processing. Sojourner does not offer court-ordered community service opportunities.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Gail has volunteered with Sojourner for over 5 years. She currently helps answering calls on our 24-hour hotline. Hear why she chose Sojourner and how she helps transform lives impacted by domestic violence.